Want to create a put-together look everyday?
Here’s an excerpt from my forthcoming book Look Good Now and Always: a do-it-yourself style makeover for busy women. It’s due out this fall. Stay tuned for the launch date to be announced to get your copy on Amazon.com.
Marian’s rules for putting together looks you love
- Use the pictures you’ve collected and pinned on your inspiration board to assemble new and creative outfits expressing your inner essence and showing the world all your many facets.
- The colors in a printed top and a solid-colored skirt or pair of pants don’t have to match exactly. They can be fairly close in color and still look terrific. Same with a blouse and sweater or jacket.
- Look for pieces that add zip, zing, and pop to an otherwise tired outfit. For example; a creative, whimsical or trendy top can be combined with a classic pencil skirt for instant wow. An animal print scarf and bright earrings can change a traditional outfit to chic. Try a leather jacket with flared leg trousers and boots. Add hoop earrings and you’ve got sizzle!
- When choosing separates to create an outfit, stick with either warm reds going toward orange, or cool reds going toward blue. Don’t mix orange reds, like tangerine, with bluish reds, like maroon, in one outfit.
- For a slimming effect, wear vertical lines like zippers, stripes, seams, fringes, scarves, and long necklaces.
- Wear accessories that relate to the clothes you’re wearing in terms of style, shape, and color. But be bold with your accessories for accent and flare.
- For a current up-to-date look, wear two prints together if and only if each piece has at least one color that’s the same, and one of the prints is much bolder/larger than the other.
- Color combinations to avoid (except during the appropriate holidays) include red and green, black and orange, and the ever patriotic red, white, and blue, unless you are going for a nautical look.
- If you have cool coloring, you will probably look best in silver-toned accessories. If you have warm coloring, especially if your skin has a golden color to it, gold-toned accessories will be the most flattering.
Miscellaneous style bits and top tips
- Hem trousers and other slacks (besides skinny jeans and leggings) so that they land ¾’ from the floor, no matter what shoes you are wearing. Yes, that means your trousers must be hemmed for certain heel heights, and they won’t be the right length with higher or lower heels.
- Not sure your hairstyle is current or flattering? Ask a trusted friend or someone with a great fashion sense. Look in magazines for pictures of hairstyles you like. Bring those photos to the salon and ask a stylist if they will work for your type of hair.
- Not thrilled with your current stylist? Ask friends their recommendations. Try a new stylist who can liven up your current look.
- Can’t wash and style your hair for a couple days? Try dry shampoo and some styling gel. Or stick it in a ponytail, but add a little pizzaz to that pony with a bit of curling iron magic. Maybe backcomb the hair at the crown of your head and add a wave to the front area? Use a cute clip, chic ponytail holder or elastic band that matches your hair color.
- No time or know-how to put on a polished day-makeup face? Well, if you have no time, at least apply some mascara and bright lip color. It gives your face and your spirit a physical and emotional lift. If you have no no-how, have a professional consultation or grab that friend of yours who’s a makeup genius.
- No time or resources for a mani-pedi? Forget that French manicure but at the very least, file your nails and apply clear polish. Nails should all be the same length as each other. Always keep nails clean and cuticles trimmed. Always.
- Teeth a bit yellow? Have them whitened, even if they aren’t as straight as you’d like them. Ask your dentist about whitening treatments or check out those kiosks with laser whitening booths at the mall. There are many whitening products at the grocery store or pharmacy, although the whitening agents in these products are quite weak and may not give you the desired results.
- Want to add a touch of sexiness to a casual outfit? Hoop earrings provide just the right accent. You always want to dress age-appropriate, but there’s nothing wrong with touting your femininity. Add a bold color on the lips for an extra pop of trendy chic.
Marian Rothschild is a certified personal image consultant serving the Denver and Boulder areas. Marian teaches successful professionals to have polished presence for confident leadership skills with exquisite intention. Marian coaches on appearance, body language, and communication. Call for a free 20 min. consultation: 720-933-9247.
Leave a Reply