Denver image consultant Marian Rothschild offers 5 tips on how to be a smart sale shopper
Courtesy: Denver Post 7/19/12: This time of year it seems like everything is on sale.
Sidewalk sales clutter the streets and merchants are slashing prices on summer goods to make way for fall clothing. Other retailers, such as Nordstrom, get a jump on the season ahead by offering July discounts on fall apparel and accessories.
But there’s a cautionary tale to be told here. Marian Rothschild says to hold onto your wallet for a minute. An image consultant working with clients in Boulder and Denver, she has some advice on how to shop smart and not be blinded by marketing and advertising images:
1. Take a hard look inside your closet and see where the gaps are. What are you always thinking you need more of — skirts, dresses, cute blouses? Make a list.
2. Take an honest look at your finances. See how much you can afford to spend on clothes this summer without going into debt. Make a budget.
3. Edit your closet. Get rid of at least 10 things that you haven’t worn in the last few years and, truth be told, you’re not ever going to wear. Donate items to a charity that can use them.
4. Go through catalogs from favorite stores or magazines and earmark pages with things you like. Analyze how the stylists put the outfits together. Circle what you love. Check the price. Make priorities.
5. Before you buy anything, ask yourself: does it fit, does it flatter, do I love it? Don’t buy it if you can’t say yes to these three questions, even if the price is right. Promise to be honest with yourself. If you need help deciding on what flatters you, consider hiring a professional image consultant to help you evaluate your needs and shop accordingly.
Marian Rothschild is a certified personal image consultant with Look Good Now in Boulder and Denver. Services she offers include color analysis, wardrobe style consulting, body shape dressing, makeup lessons and personal shopping for men, women and graduates. Marianrothschild.com; 720-933-9247. tt
Suzanne S. Brown: 303-954-1697, [email protected] or twitter.com/suzannebro
Read more: Image consultant Marian Rothschild offers 5 tips on how to be a smart sale shopper – The Denver Post https://www.denverpost.com/ci_21105157/image-consultant-offers-5-tips-how-be-smart#ixzz2rHYiNP4k
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Image consultant denver, boulder, Look Good Now, 2497 Keller Farm dr. Boulder, CO 80304